Andy and the Summer Pantry Upgrade Crusade

This summer, I decided to refinish our pantry/cupboard.  It is an heirloom, passed down from Sarah’s parents; her Dad had constructed it many, many years ago.  We currently use it to store our cookbooks and serving-ware.  Over time, the heritage piece has taken some abuse: scuffs, crayon marks, stab wounds that Sarah insists come from her brother, NOT her.  I resolved within myself to give the cherished old furniture some time and love, to reveal what new vigor could emerge from the tarnished legacy.  The process will unfold below, largely in the form of images…

image
This is the pantry as it was, after being partially disassembled. Note the hole punched in the cardboard backing in the top right. That happened during the move to Pikeville.
image
These are the pieces I removed.

image
Hardware was removed, bagged, and labelled.
image
Another look at the back. See that torn hole? It will not happen again.
image
I removed the cardboard backing. But, what did I do with it?
image
Ah; gone, but not forgotten…
image
The hardware was carefully stored in this bowl, until it was called forth into service.
image
When I was not actively working on it, I stored the pantry along the wall in our living room. Those cardboard boxes had been in the attic since we moved here. They found new life as make shift work-tables.
image
The sanding station was outside. I have no pictures of the finish-stripping stage, where I tried using a chemical stripper. It was a real pain.
image
The one on the left has had the finish removed and is sanded. The one on the right is in progress.
image
That big box was my go-to “work bench”.
image
Here, I am attaching the lauan backing. No more punched holes! Sawing through that was a tedious process. Coincidentally, I received an electric jigsaw for my birthday a few weeks later.
image
I call it the hillbilly woodshop.
image
The backing is cut to size and being sanded flush!
image
Impressive transformation so far, right?
image
Back in the storage location, but now with an armored back, like unto an armadillo.
image
Everything is set out to be cleaned before being painted.
image
The first coat! A pleasant shade of brown.
image
Not every surface was painted.
image
The crackle coat turned out great! Later, I learned you can get the same effect by using glue.
image
The back is un-crackled white.
image
I put one coat of satin finish polyurethane on the crackle surfaces and the shelf tops as a protectant.
image
Once I put the hardware back on, I thought its tarnished appearance looked better on the crackle paint, than it did on the previous stain.
image
A glimpse into the interior of the pantry.
image
Almost complete!

 

image
The finished product. An heirloom to pass on to the next generation.

3 Comments Add yours

  1. Rosie says:

    I’m impressed! We’ve had some ikea dressers waiting to be painted for over a year and I don’t know that we’ll EVER get to it!

    1. Sarah says:

      I was too! Andy worked so diligently on it all summer.

  2. Leslie says:

    Fantastic!!

Share your thoughts:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s